THE MOUNTAIN CODE
- Do not tackle anything which is beyond your training
- Ensure that your equipment is sound.
- Know the rescue facilities available in the area you
are in and the procedure in case of accidents.
- know First Aid.
- Avoid going into the mountains alone unless you are
- Leave word of your route and proposed time of
return. Always report you return.
- Make sure your map and compass skills are well practiced.
Rely on your compass.
Consider Other People
- No game shooting.
- Lead only climbs and walks you are competent to do
- Enjoy the quiet of the countryside; loud voices and
radios do disturb.
- Do not throw stones and dislodge boulders.
- Do not pollute water.
- Choose a climb which will not interfere with others
or wait your turn.
Be Weather Wise
- Know the local weather forecast.
- Weather conditions change rapidly. Do not hesitate
to turn back.
- Know the conditions on the mountains; if there is
snow or ice only go out when you have mastered the use of ice axe and
Respect the land
- Keep to footpaths through farm and forests. If in
doubt ask or wait for someone to pass by.
- Camp on official sites or obtain permission of the
- Dig a hole to make a latrine and replace the turf.
- Remember the danger of starting a fire.
- Take all your litter home.
- Avoid starting sheep and cattle.
Help Conserve Wild Life
- Enjoy the plants, flowers and trees but never remove
or damage them.
- Avoid disturbing wild life.
KEEP THE MOUNTAINS CLEAN
Copyright © by Himalayan Camping All Right Reserved.
Published on: 2005-05-10 (3823 reads)[ Go Back ]